Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Learning through life

One of my favorite aspects of homeschooling is that we can learn all the time.  Even without lesson plans and books.

Did I just hear you gasp?!

We can learn in all we do throughout our day.  Not that we always do and not that we always have fun. BUT we CAN.

It is those moments, when I realize that the kiddos are learning in an unplanned way, and I take advantage of it, that make me fall more in love with homeschooling.

The other day on our walk we had one of those special moments. 
The girls remembered seeing butterflies over by the azalea bushes near Trey's office, they wanted to check it out again.  So, we took a little detour over to the bushes to take a look. 

To our delight the bushed were covered with both butterflies and bees. 

Here is a conversation Abigail and I had.
I asked Abigail what the butterflies were doing and she said, "drinking nectar from the flowers." I also asked her what the bees were doing and she said, "drinking from the flowers." when I asked here what else they were doing she said, "helping the flowers grow." I then asked her what the bees were gonna do with the nectar and she said MAKE honey :) Yeah Abigail!!!

My little Pumpkin Pie, aka Hannah,  also knew that the butterflies and bees were drinking and that the bees were helping the flowers grow.  Way to go Punkin!

Here are some beautiful pictures of the azaleas.






No comments:

Post a Comment