Monday, February 15, 2010

Letting go

I have always enjoyed doing crafts with the girls. I guess I first noticed my need to control when we were working on one of our Christmas crafts. They made wreaths out of paper plates, one of our favorite holiday crafts. Let me start by saving that at the beginning you have to "help" because they are not capable of doing it on their own. As we made our Christmas wreaths I noticed it really bothered me if a sticker was put on upside down or if the glitter didn't go where I thought it should go. So, not wanting to squash creativity, I tried to "guide" as they made their creations.

The new development at our house is... that the girls are now old enough to create on the own, that is right without Mama's help.

February brought the great holiday of Valentines and I love to make CUTE homemade Valentines to send to the grandparents and give to Daddy. In the past I have always done really cute pictures with their hand prints. I mean frame worthy not just fridge art. I take great pride in these crafts. So, you see my delima here. To help, guide, interject, suggest or not to help, guide, interject, or suggest. Tough choice for me! I took the high road, some of the time with a fake smile on my face, and let the girls do all the creating on the own.

They decided they wanted to start with a website that we use for "school" to make the card. They were asked to choose words to string together a necklace that would have a Valentine saying on it. Then after it was printed they were supposed to color it and trace the letters to sign the card. I will be really honest, it was hard for me to mail them, they were not as "pretty" as I like. So, sorry to the receivers if you were a little disappointed when you opened the envelopes. And also, I will work on Letting go!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'm the same way. And I've been trying to be more aware of it too. Thanks for the reminder! : )

    ReplyDelete