Saturday, September 19, 2009

Short A week

Our school days will look a little different this year. We are focusing on one sound/letter each week. We are also doing a new Bible lesson. This is Abigail's first year of Cubbies so we will be doing lessons from her book for Bible time. Very excited about this! I have also added Science and Social studies this year in addition to math activities. With our calender time I added the clock. The girls are showing interest ,always asking what time it is, so I thought this would be a great time to introduce the concepts.

We finished our first week on Friday, still working out the fine details. Some things have been tweaked several times already, behavior chart being one of them. But, things went very well. Here is how the week went.

This is Table time:
Bible lesson- This week was "All have sinned" Rm 3:23

Language Arts (daily)- Short A: introduce/review written letter and sound, went over theme words, Read Poem of the week aloud.

Wednesday, Science- Antelope: we went over 5 facts about the Mammal. I even pulled out the Atlas and showed them where Antelope live, Africa and Asia. They really enjoyed looking at the map, and yeah I threw some Geography in there :) I will continue that. They then drew their own interpretation of an antelope, very interesting. At dinner, on this night, Abigail was able to tell Trey several of the 5 things she learned, with a little help.

Friday, Math: We did a review of counting with my red and white counters, from my school teacher days. Or as we called them this week "red apples"

Friday, Social studies: We read our copy of , Hello Reader Johnny Appleseed. The girls also really liked this and wanted to read it several times.

Calendar, story time and clock also happen daily but, we move away from the table. The girls can sit on the floor but they seem to prefer to pull their chair over by my comfy reading chair. They say they can see better. As long as they sit still and pay attention it is fine with me :)

Friday after nap time we made the batter for apple muffins. Hannah did a great job stirring she kept saying, with a grunt "I am working hard." and "I'm a great helper!!" We ate them this morning and they turned out delicious, moist and healthful. Cant beat that! Delicious end to our A week.

No comments:

Post a Comment