Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Up and Growing

The Fall garden is growing, things are looking GOOD. I found some row markers today at Target in the $1.00 bins, thank you Target, so I will stick them out soon.

(from left to right)

We have a whole row of Long Imperator carrots(which i have already thinned once and need to do again), broccoli and early snowball cauliflower, Table Queen Acorn Squash, half a row of endive(not really sure why it was on sale and it looks like lettuce), and a lettuce mixture that I received from the horticulture teacher at Trey's work.

Also in the back planter box, along the fence, I planted a whole row of Rutger tomatoes. I really hope they do well. We sure do miss our fresh "matoes", as the girls call them.

In one of the pots I have a jalapeno plant. We did not get any peppers all summer. I did not pull it up when I planted fall, even though I wanted to use the planter for some fall flowers, because the plant was so big and pretty. I just thought it would slowly die. Well, now it has peppers. So I may be freezing some Fall salsa.

In the other planter I started my herb pot. They had basil on sale so that is what I got this time. I would like to add rosemary and oregano. We have found that oregano is a very good flavor with all the venison we eat. Trey cuts slits in the back strap, before he throws it on the grill, and pours a few shakes of Oregano in. Then he wraps it in bacon. Mmmm...delicious, seriously my mouth is watering just thinking about it! I would love to have our own fresh herbs for this and other recipes.

*Everything was planted from seed with the exception of the broccoli, and lettuce mixture so generously provided from GCTC

No comments:

Post a Comment